Saturday, November 7, 2009

Stitch a Forest, Plant a Tree

Hi Stitchers!

My name is Theresa and I'm the happy owner of Homestead Needle Arts in Grand Blanc, Michigan. I have a "brick and mortar shop" which I've had for 5-1/2 years now. I have a website with info and shopping cart at http://www.homesteadneedlearts.com/. I'm IMMERSED in all things needlepoint. If you like to stitch, love threads, or just like golden retrievers, you might want to follow along. My puppy Star gets to come to work with me nearly daily. She's almost three now and has been coming to work since she came to live with me at the ripe old age of 7 weeks. I'm sure she's the most beautiful dog in the world. I know, your dog is beautiful too but mine is ... well, mine!

Seeing as the end of the year is looming, I have to plan for next year. Every year people like to have an Ornament Club. So this time, I decided on the "Stitch a Forest, Plant a Tree" Club for 2010. Guess who is supposed to have the trees stitched at least one month ahead of the members? The unique thing about THIS club is that members get to choose who I make a donation to - Rainforest Foundation or American Forest. Did I mention I love the outdoors?

Just last week I decided which order the trees will be done in and then picked up the first one and went to town. I'm happy to report that it was done in no time at all. I'm serious. It couldn't have taken me more than 3 or 4 hours. I wasn't timing it but really, take a look at it. It only has 3 colors and 3 stitches. Not to tough, eh?


Well the red and green areas ARE composite stitches and there are a couple of different threads in there but you know what I mean! Anyway, I even stitched the 2 rows around the edge for the finisher, one of my LEAST favorite things to do. So what next? I decided this tree was a little ... bare. And so I went to town on it.













Doesn't it look more like a tree with those ornaments? This is the best part - that took me about 4 minutes. They're just Hot Fix Embellishments brought to us by Kreinik. Debbie of Debbee's Designs uses them in some of her jewel series. Aren't they cool looking? I almost started draping tinsel on it too but decided I better relax and think about a tree-topper. Star or puffy ball?



My next question is how do I want to finish them? The designer had them all in little white spools on skinny "tree trunks". I'm trying to decide if I want that or to make them 3D or with ruffled edges, flat, stand-up...maybe some of each! If YOU walked in the shop, what would you want to see? Of course there will be 12 of them in the end. You can see them all here http://homesteadneedlearts.com/detail.cfm?ID=2129 OR just click on the title to this blog and it'll take you to the link I provided above.

But before you go, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment